Photographer, foodie and mighty urban gardener.I grow food and flowers as part of my art practice. Represented by Christine Klassen Gallery.
- My inside garden of paper whites narcissuses is finally flowering . I'm sure Erin would be proud. Note to self buy truckloads of them next year. The smell is to strong That hits you right in the noise when you come in. I'm have other bulbs ready to be forced. #paperwhites #indoorplants #indorgarden #floret #yycgardening #yyc
- Detail of work for @lougheedhouse show in February. I was working on this piece when we got work that little Thea ( a girl in my kids school passed away). She was a wise spirit in a little body. Her passage in this earth was brief but enough to teach all around her about living life to the fullest. My work is concerned with the passage of time but sometimes it seems like time passes to fast that we almost missed the beautiful flowers like Thea. I had the privilege of photographing her two weeks ago and for me it's a reminder of why I love photography so much. Allows me to freeze time when it feels like it slips away. RIP Thea. #exposurephotofestival #yyc #thea #flowers #angels #decay #compost #yycartist #rociolovesbotanics #rociograham #canadiancontemporaryphotography #art
- I just came back from Mexico and as much as I looove Mexican food my body is craving mushrooms, garlic, kale and bitter greens. I can only imagine that it is because of all the minerals I lost in the heat. So barely unpacked I need to nourish my belly with some food. I have tons of projects on the go. I need to get back to them right away and get ready for spring shows. As I said it before, part of my creative process involves cooking while I create art. Don't ask me why but there is something magical about a pot of shimmering food on the stove that grounds me and allows me to focus on my work. It's taking me a while to understand those things about my work and be ok with the messy multitasking chaos that happens when I cook and photoshoot. It doesn't make any sense to the tidy and organized but it's where the magic happens so I'm ok with it because in my head everything is in a list and pretty organized hahaha. Have a nice week.
- Work in progress at @lougheedhouse Working In a public space has been a great experiment. Lots of lessons. Beautiful gardens and a very engaged community. Today I got to chat with visitors from Australia and a new immigrant that after an engaged conversation he ended up becoming my assistant for the afternoon ( I need some grants so don't judge me hahaha). Lots of downtown workers too that stopped to say hi and inquire about my compost madness haha . You will be able to see the finished work during @exposurefotofest in February. Pencil your calendars people. #yycarts #exposurephotofestival #decay #compost #stilllife #nature #womankind #womanartist #roses #albertaarts #contemporaryart
- I met Zora 7 years ago at Emily Carr University and I knew from the get go she was an amazing artist. Seeing her work evolve blows me away. Most importantly I feel so blessed to receive this amazing limited edition copy in the mail. Honestly I had tears of gratitude for this. It made my week. @zorasauerteig feeling connected and love every minute of it. Having this connection to these amazing artists across the world and sharing our beautiful art with each other is what gives me the most pleasure. I can't only imagine what this human will create next. If you get a chance to get a copy of any of her work you will be a lucky duck. #artistsunite #emilycarruniversity #friendsacrosstheworld #womencomics #shedraws #femme #femalecomics #graphicnovel #drawings #storytelling
- Life goes in ups and downs. Friends that get married while others suffer losses. Delightful surprises and worries . There is no one day that is flat . When you love deeply the people around you, it's going to impact you all that it goes in their lives good and bad. We had a frustrating week followed by some bad news from friends and yet today I put on my party hat to celebrate Elena's upcoming wedding. Bonus that I found a couple of scattered flowers hidden in the greenhouse waiting to put on a show today for her gran fete. Today we celebrate love and tomorrow well , let's see what is in order tomorrow. Enjoy your day.
- The harvest . The homegrown squash by @sheaproulx is magnificent. Thanks friend for being my growing and artist pal #polaroid #womenartists #sisterhood #analog #ckgallery #rociograham #creativelife #cbcarts #stilllife #albertaarts
- I'm so excited to start a new project at the #lougheedhouse today. Their beautiful gardens will be my studio for the next several weeks. I would love if you come and help crate something that reflects on the beautiful history of this place. Gardeners love community and what a better way to create community than through making art together.#yyc #yycarts #canadianart #rociograham #decayporn #stilllife #roses
- Canada is mourning a legend today and I can feel its collective loss. I do that all the time with my work. Growing plants and flowers , nurturing their exquisite magnificent knowing that at some point I have to let them go, become earth, the same way they came to us. The circle of life. We then have a choice, to surrender to the loss or gentle thank its presence in our lives and give pass to new things and new growth. If Gord's life is any Indication, we came to this life to give what we are capable of and then give passage to other things. We leave a mark and we choose each day the type of footprint we want to leave behind. #canada #decay #yycarts #rociograham #rociolovesbotanics #stilllife #surrendering #inspiration #tragicallyhip #gorddownie #canadianhero #thehip #ripgorddownie🇨🇦 #canadianartist #canadianart
- When you work so small like in polaroids it's hard to notice the little details hidden in the composition. I can't find the humming bird. Or the bugs . This is a slow process that starts the moment in February when I plant seeds indoors in my indoor growing space , then plants are moved to the garden in April when this Tundra like weather I live in finally gives us some warm , then the growing and tending goes all the way to the fall when things become compost and when finally a picture is taken. Just to complicate my life a bit more ( hahaha) I decided this time to also create Polaroids and force myself to slow down , to feel the light , to see the light before I actually photograph this. Sometimes I wonder what is the art ,the compost that I methodically created from seed ? Or the artifact at the end, the photograph? These are questions I have not gotten an answer to. #artistquestions #pondering #photography #polaroid #analog #compost #decay #nature #rociolovesbotanics #rociograham #yycart #albertaarts #christineklassengallery #acadexperience
- Another Polaroid of my organic compositions. I'm relearning a lot during this process. #lovehate #polaroid #analog #yycarts #yyc #creativelife #stilllife #rociograham #yycphotographer #botanical #decayporn #decay #ckgallery
- When I work in my studio aka my compost pit , I seem to do better if am also cooking. So 30lbs of tomatoes are being roasted while I'm making deals with the compost fairies. 😉 it's been a lot of trial and error today but I know that I have to let it be. Nature will be my teacher and specially when I'm faced with inflexibility I need to learn to be flexible and not sweat the little stuff. #gratitude #compost #botanicalart #compostlady #rociograham #polaroid #studiotime #yycartist #yyc #calgaryartsdevelopment #experiments #lettinggo
- I'm thankful, very thankful for this madonna finally making it home. It brings me tears of joy and gratitude. I shall have many conversations with you uncle Barry . I know you will continue being my protector from wherever you are. Having this piece in my house is an honour that fills my heart with so much love. Joy! . #uncle #madonna #italianart #collector #artcollector #masters #gratitude
- As always Nature shows me who is boss. I have hoped for flowers and my compost to fade in a certain way, for the layers of organic material to behave in predicting ways and yet again nature comes and does a unexpected freeze over followed by hot days and the work in progress became a massive mess. So knee deep in half decomposed material I decide to tackle this piece surrendering and allowing nature to influence the final piece. This is a close up of some work that will see life soon. I don't know what it will become of this but I'm ok with it. My garden and greenhouse has lost the luscious green shine and is in half dormancy now which is giving me que for me to go inwards too, to dig deeper in my soul and face the muddy mess there, weed out what no longer serves me and plant some seeds that could potentially blossom in the future. Time to face the mud figuratively and literally. #decay #botanicalart #compost #yycart #albertaartist #monet #garden #decomposing #vanitas #rociograham
- I didn't want to miss seeing @cccutshaw exhibition so I had a quick visit to @herringerkissgallery today and to my delight the artist was present. Double score! I always love talking to other artists about their journey. This creative life can be defeating sometimes when things go sideways for whatever reason but getting to talk to artists that weathered the storms is inspiring #yycartist #yycartexhibition #yycevents #albertaarts #oilpainting #artsy #creativelife #womanartist #herringerkissgallery #curtiscutshaw
- Between flowers and food I can't decide. Today the tomatoes in the greenhouse are calling to be the day's stars. Tomato bisque is in order. I wish my friends at @vendomeyyc would cook this for me as I love when good people cook for me but, to complete the cycle and experience growing food at its deepest I need to roll the sleeves and labour a bit more. I can't stop but to think about my fellow Mexican immigrants that work the fields in California so we can afford juicy tomatoes all year round in Canada and the U.S.A. We go to the store buy fresh produce and let it go to waste without a second thought but, when you learn to grow your own food you learn to value it and respect its magical process from seed to table. Well today I salute all the people that put food on our tables from the Mexican migrant to the cooks at a cool cafe in yyc . Thank you! #growyourownfood #vendomeyyc #rociograham #gardeningasart #landwork #creativelife #creativeliving #tomatoes #albertabounty #mothernature #migrants #mexican #buildawall #ideasforawall #undoingwalls #borderlands #borderfence #repellentfence #marymendoza #activism
- Work is hanged at @vendomeyyc Any excuse to meet up for coffee,catch up, write grants together or collab let me know........
#collaboration #vendomeyyc #coffeetime #yycevents #acadexperience #rociograham #rociolovesbotanics #roses
- With some prints you are happy and with some you are like meah. it's hard when you planted from seed these little things , nurse them to see the light in the garden and the the cold snap in Calgary does its thing on your flowers and the only thing you could achieve after all these months is this . Yeah experimenting and creating from scratch has its limitations but you learn more about your materials and I guess that can not be learnt in a book you gotta get dirty and try. Work coming soon......#vendomeyyc #growyourown #yycartist #yyc #exhibition #floret #rociograham #rociolovesbotanics #zinnias