avalonhistorycenter's  Instagram Profile

Avalon History Center

@avalonhistorycenter

Add to circle
  • Small
  • Medium
  • Large
- "Back in March of 1888, a contingent of Methodist Episcopal officials had made a trip to the town of Avalon to inspect and identify the lot that was to be donated to them for a church. In their account of the trip, the location of the lot was not specified, but almost 6 years later in December of 1893 another M.E. group took possession of the lot for $900, purchasing it from the Avalon Beach Improvement Company. This price is double a normal lot price for that area, suggesting ABICO had the Church built for them on their "free" lot, and the $900 was in fact the cost of the Church, not unreasonable as it was a tiny building. The Church building exists to this day, though no longer as an active church. The builder was reportedly Hiram W. Godfrey of Cape May." The Methodist Church has operated as a year-round congregation continuously since that time, although they are now located in a different building, art 3344 Dune Drive. The original building is now a private home.
- "Back in March of 1888, a contingent of Methodist Episcopal officials had made a trip to the town of Avalon to inspect and identify the lot that was to be donated to them for a church. In their account of the trip, the location of the lot was not specified, but almost 6 years later in December of 1893 another M.E. group took possession of the lot for $900, purchasing it from the Avalon Beach Improvement Company. This price is double a normal lot price for that area, suggesting ABICO had the Church built for them on their "free" lot, and the $900 was in fact the cost of the Church, not unreasonable as it was a tiny building. The Church building exists to this day, though no longer as an active church. The builder was reportedly Hiram W. Godfrey of Cape May." The Methodist Church has operated as a year-round congregation continuously since that time, although they are now located in a different building, art 3344 Dune Drive. The original building is now a private home.
- "Back in March of 1888, a contingent of Methodist Episcopal officials had made a trip to the town of Avalon to inspect and identify the lot that was to be donated to them for a church. In their account of the trip, the location of the lot was not specified, but almost 6 years later in December of 1893 another M.E. group took possession of the lot for $900, purchasing it from the Avalon Beach Improvement Company. This price is double a normal lot price for that area, suggesting ABICO had the Church built for them on their "free" lot, and the $900 was in fact the cost of the Church, not unreasonable as it was a tiny building. The Church building exists to this day, though no longer as an active church. The builder was reportedly Hiram W. Godfrey of Cape May." The Methodist Church has operated as a year-round congregation continuously since that time, although they are now located in a different building, art 3344 Dune Drive. The original building is now a private home.

This product uses the Instagram API but is not endorsed or certified by Instagram. All Instagram™ logos and trademarks displayed on this application are property of Instagram.